Stony Brook University Library Strategic Design 2015-2018
University Libraries has launched a strategic design that aligns our organization’s mission and vision through guiding principles. The Stony Brook University Libraries inspires learning, research, scholarly inquiry and service in an environment dedicated to the open exchange of ideas and information. We are engaged in scholarly, cultural and artistic interactions with Stony Brook University, its regional and global communities by:
- Promoting academic engagement
- Building, preserving and providing access to rich and diverse collections
- Developing responsive library spaces for diverse user communities
- Fostering an innovative culture of learning and assessment
We believe that the University Libraries is an essential partner in Stony Brook University’s mission of global leadership in research, discovery, and learning, positioning ourselves as the hub of collaboration, digital innovation and scholarly endeavors. We aspire to enable the dissemination, preservation, and creation of new knowledge by remaining committed to delivering world-class physical and digital content and services critical to research, education, and outreach, now and in the future.
— The University Libraries
Promote Academic Engagement
We are committed to participating in the entire life cycle of the research, teaching and learning process that emphasize critical thinking and innovative forms of expression. We identify priorities that guide strategic efforts to foster academic collaborations and cultivate enduring partnerships to enable student, faculty, and research success.
Build, Preserve, and Provide Access to Rich and Diverse Collections
We equip students, faculty and researchers with the means to reach their fullest potential by ensuring an equitable and balanced collection development profile that (a) reflects and anticipates the University’s teaching, research and clinical requirements; (b) deploys seamless and flexible technology in discovery of relevant information in all formats; and (c) implements sustainable policies and procedures to ensure the availability and integrity of information resources now and into the future.
Develop Responsive Library Spaces for Diverse User Communities
We design library space to increase productivity and develop communities of learning. We benefit curricular and research initiatives with library facilities, technologies and services and we design flexible/multi-purpose spaces in a high technology environment.
Foster an Innovative Culture of Learning and Assessment
We encourage and enable all staff to contribute to the development of the library as a learning organization that acquires knowledge and responds appropriately to a rapidly changing environment. Learning organizations (a) create a culture that encourages and supports continuous employee learning, critical thinking, assessment, and risk taking and innovation of new ideas, (b) allow experimentation, and value employee contributions, (c) learn from experience and experiment, and (d) disseminate the new knowledge throughout the organization for incorporation into day-to-day workflows.
- Facilities and Nights & Weekends
- Health Sciences Library
- Cataloging and Metadata Services
- Instruction and Reference
- Special Collections and University Archives
Scholarly Communication & Data Management
Health Sciences Library
- Presentation to School of Dental Medicine Administrators
- Site Visit to Weill Cornell Medical Library
- Presentation to Cancer Center Administrators
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine Visits Health Sciences Library
- Cancer Center Executive Committee Meeting
Global Library Initiatives
Electronic Resources and Management Services
Special Collections and University Archives
Latest posts by john (see all)
- Innovation Lab to Demo 3D Printing in the HSC Library - January 19, 2016
- 3rd Lecture in the Lecture Series of the Office of Global Library Initiatives - January 14, 2016
- On-Site Reference in the Humanities Building - January 13, 2016