Interlibrary Loan (ILL) makes resources available by providing electronic or physical delivery of material from other library collections. Material that is not owned by Stony Brook University Libraries may be obtained from other participating libraries.
Stony Brook University faculty, students, and staff with library accounts in good standing are able to request material through interlibrary loan.
- You will be notified via email (SBU email) when your material is ready.
- ILL material not picked up by the due date will be returned.
- PDFs delivered to ILLiad account will be available for 30 days. After 30 days, they are automatically removed.
We are not able to mail interlibrary loaned material to offsite locations. Please be prepared to pick up your requests at the Melville Library, Health Sciences Library, or Southampton campus library.
Electronic material may take up to a week to arrive; physical items usually take one to two weeks to arrive. Document Delivery material is usually delivered with in 2 business days.
- Request limits: The number of active ILL requests
Faculty – 100, Graduate Students – 50, Undergraduates & staff – 20
- Please limit yourself to 10 ILL requests a day
- We typically are not able to borrow eBooks
- Other items that may be difficult to obtain through ILL include:
Textbooks, new material, test preparation material, software, reference books, multiple chapters from the same book/journal, and rare books.
Borrowing Libraries or External Borrowers
The Stony Brook University Libraries loan materials to libraries and other professional organizations. An individual interested in borrowing material from our collection should contact the academic or agency library with which they are affiliated or their local public library.
- Policies: Interlibrary Loan for SBU users
- Policies: Interlibrary Loan for non-SBU institutions and patrons
- Policies for Document Delivery
Location & Contact
Stony Brook University Libraries
Frank Melville Jr. Memorial Library
Stony Brook, NY 11794
Main Stacks – Interlibrary Loan