Now with automatic waitlist service. See waitlist procedures below
Provided in partnership by University Libraries and Division of Information Technology
- HP laptops (model HP 250 G7) and Dell laptops (model Latitude 5500) are available for borrowing.
- SBU students with valid SBU ID may borrow a laptop for use anywhere.
- Students must be in good standing with the Library (no fines, no overdue items, and no blocks).
- Laptop availability can be viewed online via the Library’s discovery system SEARCH. See listing of laptops under “Location Items.”
- Check-outs/returns done in person at the North Reading Room, Melville Library between the hours of 9am – 11pm, M-Th, 9am – 5pm on Fridays, and 12:30pm-6pm Saturday/Sunday.
- Laptops are loaned for 60 days, with the option for one 60 day renewal. The loan term is based on the student’s eligibility. The lending period will end at the end of the current semester for students who are not enrolled in an upcoming semester.
- Students have administrative privileges on the laptop.
- Laptops are available while supplies last. If no laptops are currently available, students’ requests are automatically placed on a waitlist – see waitlist procedures below.
- Students must complete and submit the Laptop Loan Agreement Form prior to borrowing a laptop. Please read waitlist procedures below.
- 1 laptop per student available on a first come, first served basis. If no laptops are currently available, students’ requests are automatically placed on a waitlist using information from their submitted Laptop Loan Agreement Form.
- WAITLIST PROCEDURES
- Students must complete and submit the Laptop Loan Agreement Form to be placed on the waitlist.
- Students will be notified via SBU email when a laptop becomes available.
- Students must pick up the laptop within 48 hours after notification or forfeit their place on the waitlist. After 48 hours the laptop will be distributed to the next student on the waitlist.
- To get back on the waitlist a new request (a new Laptop Loan Agreement Form) must be submitted.
- This automatic waitlist service closes on the last day of classes each semester.
- Laptops must be borrowed and returned in person at North Reading Room, Melville Library between the hours of 9am – 11pm on Mondays-Thursdays, 9am – 5pm on Fridays, and 12:30pm-6pm Saturday/Sunday.
- Any stored data, installed apps, or other information will be erased after the laptop is returned.
- Students are not allowed to reinstall the Operating System of the laptop or in any way format the hard drive.
- Students are not allowed to take apart the laptop or in any way remove components from the laptop such as the hard drive or memory.
- Lost/damaged/late charges:
- Replacement cost of up to $1176.40 for lost or stolen laptop
- Replacement cost of $58.82 for lost, stolen, or damaged power adapter
- Replacement cost of $58.82 for laptop sleeve or bag
- Late fines:
- $23.53/day up to $70.59 (three days), thereafter charge is for lost laptop ($1176.40)
- Charge for damages (repairs) is up to $1176.40, based on cost for replacement part(s)
- Students must abide by SBU’s Appropriate Use of Information Technology – Policy 109.
- Laptop loan is a privilege and can be revoked if abused.
- Students have administrative privileges and may install any software needed to complete their coursework.
- Students are not allowed to make any modifications to the hardware.
Laptop Software List
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
- Adobe Acrobat X Pro
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Office 2019 Professional Plus
- VLC media player
- Students must sign into the laptop with their Stony Brook NetID while still in the Library.
- Laptop will connect to WolfieNet-Secure while on campus.
- Laptop will print to any Print From Anywhere Station while on campus.
How to Borrow a Laptop
- Check for availability via the Library’s discovery system SEARCH. See listing of laptops under “Location Items”
- Complete and submit the Laptop Loan Agreement Form. A copy of the agreement will be emailed to you.
- Proceed to Melville Library, North Reading Room Service Desk between the hours of 9am – 11pm on Mondays-Thursdays , 9am – 5pm on Fridays, and 12:30pm-6pm Saturday/Sunday. ; see Library staff to check out a laptop and power adapter.
- Then, see DoIT’s Technology Consultant at the same service desk for connectivity and other technical details
How to Return the Laptop
- Take the laptop in-person to Melville Library, North Reading Room Service Desk during the following hours:
- 9am – 11pm on Mondays-Thursdays, 9am – 5pm on Fridays, and 12:30pm-6pm Saturday/Sunday.
- See DoIT’s Technology Consultant for an initial inspection of the laptop, power adapter, and sleeve. You will be notified of any initial visible damages.
- Then, see Library staff at the same service desk to return the laptop. You will be notified of any late charges
- Further in depth hardware inspection will be done within 5 business days after the laptop is returned and you will be notified of any repair costs