Provided in partnership by University Libraries and Division of Information Technology
- HP laptops (model HP 250 G7) are available for borrowing
- SBU students with valid SBU ID may borrow a laptop for use anywhere
- Students must be in good standing with the Library (no fines, no overdue items, and no blocks)
- Laptop availability can be viewed online via the Library’s discovery system SEARCH. See listing of laptops under “Location Items”
- Check-outs/returns done in person at the North Reading Room, Melville Library between the hours of 9am – 7pm, M-Th and 9am – 5pm on Fridays
- Laptop loan period is flexible up to 30 days; renewals based on availability
- Students have administrative privileges on the laptop
- This is a pilot program and laptops are available while supplies last
- Students must complete and submit the Laptop Loan Agreement Form prior to borrowing a laptop
- 1 laptop per student available on a first come, first served basis
- Laptops must be borrowed and returned in person at North Reading Room, Melville Library between the hours of 9am – 7pm, M-Th and 9am – 5pm on Fridays
- Any stored data, installed apps, or other information will be erased after the laptop is returned
- Students are not allowed to reinstall the Operating System of the laptop or in any way format the hard drive.
- Students are not allowed to take apart the laptop or in any way remove components from the laptop such as the hard drive or memory.
- Lost/damaged/late charges:
- Replacement cost of $1000 for lost or stolen laptop plus a processing fee of $20
- Replacement cost of $50 for lost, stolen, or damaged power adapter or laptop sleeve plus a processing fee of $20
- Late fines:
- $20/day up to $60 (three days), thereafter charge is for lost laptop ($1000)
- Charge for damages (repairs) is up to $1000, based on cost for replacement part(s)
- Students must abide by SBU’s Appropriate Use of Information Technology – Policy 109
- Laptop loan is a privilege and can be revoked if abused
- Students have administrative privileges and may install any software needed to complete their coursework.
- Students are not allowed to make any modifications to the hardware.
Laptop Software List
- Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
- Adobe Acrobat X Pro
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Office 2019 Professional Plus
- VLC media player
- Students must sign into the laptop with their Stony Brook NetID while still in the Library.
- Laptop will connect to WolfieNet-Secure while on campus.
- Laptop will print to any Print From Anywhere Station while on campus.
How to Borrow a Laptop
- Check for availability via the Library’s discovery system SEARCH. See listing of laptops under “Location Items”
- Complete and submit the Laptop Loan Agreement Form. A copy of the agreement will be emailed to you.
- Proceed to Melville Library, North Reading Room Service Desk between the hours of 9am – 7pm, M-Th and 9am – 5pm on Fridays; see Library staff to check out a laptop and power adapter.
- Then, see DoIT’s Technology Consultant at the same service desk for connectivity and other technical details
How to Return the Laptop
- Take the laptop in-person to Melville Library, North Reading Room Service Desk between the hours of 9am – 7pm, M-Th and 9am – 5pm on Fridays
- See DoIT’s Technology Consultant for an initial inspection of the laptop, power adapter, and sleeve. You will be notified of any initial visible damages.
- Then, see Library staff at the same service desk to return the laptop. You will be notified of any late charges
- Further in depth hardware inspection will be done within 5 business days after the laptop is returned and you will be notified of any repair costs