The SBU University Senate adopted an Open Access Policy on February 6, 2017. Open access means unrestricted online access to scholarly articles. The policy demonstrates SBU’s commitment to sharing the fruits of research and scholarship as widely as possible, and complying with public access mandates of grant-funded research. Participation in open access increases readership and citation rates.
Key Features of the Policy
- Increases readership and citation rates.
- Honors academic freedom and copyright.
- Facilitates compliance with NIH and other public access policies.
- For scholarly articles and conference proceedings.
- Accepted manuscripts after peer review.
- Opt out for any article—no questions asked.
Three Easy Options
1. Upload accepted manuscripts to SBU Academic Commons.
2. Send a link to open access versions of the articles (e.g., at PMC, SSRN, arXiv, PLOS, or another site).
3. Send accepted manuscripts to your liaison librarian.
Center for Scholarly Communication Information, services and resources for open access, scholarly publishing, research data, open education and more.