Special Collections and University Archives is committed to providing excellent educational and research opportunities to the Stony Brook University community, visiting scholars, and remote users. All are welcome to schedule an appointment to consult the collections.
I. Confirming an Appointment
Advance notice and an appointment are required to retrieve and access collections.
- Hours by Appointment: Monday to Friday between 10:30am and 4pm
- Contact department director Kristen Nyitray to schedule an appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org or 631.632.7119
- 10 boxes and/or 10 books can be retrieved per day.
- Access is provided in Special Collections supervised reading room on the second floor of the Frank Melville Jr. Memorial Library, room E-2320.
II. Reading Room Guidelines
Please read the access guidelines prior to your appointment.
- Upon arrival, all researchers will be asked to present photo identification, to sign a guest register, and to complete a registration form.
- Personal items must be placed in lockers, including but not limited to: food, drinks, pens, coats, bags, laptop cases, and folders.
- Materials do not circulate; they must be consulted in the reading room.
- The use of the reading room is dedicated to researchers using materials housed in Special Collections and University Archives.
- Researchers may bring in the reading room: a laptop or tablet, a digital camera or a cell phone with a camera, and pencils. Personal notes and notebooks must be placed in a department locker. Notepads will be provided by the department.
- Handheld scanners and tripods are prohibited.
- Pencils must be used for all note-taking. Researchers may bring their own pencils or the department can provide them.
- A quiet atmosphere is conducive to research and should be maintained at all times.
- Please silence cell phones. Calls may be made or taken in the front lobby or outside.
- Wireless internet access is available in the reading room for SBU faculty, staff, and students. More information about guest access is available here.
III. Handling Materials
- Materials must be handled with great care.
- One book or one folder may be consulted at a time.
- Items must be kept flat upon the surface of the tables.
- Gloves, book weights, and cradles are available, if needed.
- Books, papers, or other objects may not be laid on the materials.
Stony Brook University is situated on an 1,039 acre site on the north shore of Long Island in southeastern New York, approximately 60 miles east of New York City.