Quick start guide for new students at Stony Brook University
Here’s a brief overview of the Libraries and what resources you will find both in the library and online. This is just a small sample of the entire guide to the Libraries for 1st year students.
To borrow books you will need to use your SBU Campus Card. To access online materials available from the Libraries from an off-campus location, log in with your NetID when prompted.
Libraries Locations and Hours of Operation
There are several library branches, but most students at the Stony Brook east or west campuses will primarily be interested in
- Melville Library, the main library on west campus next to the Student Activities Center. The Music Library is located here, as is Special Collections and Archives.
- Health Sciences Library on east campus in the Health Sciences Tower (next to Stony Brook University Hospital)
Places where you can study either alone or in small groups
The North Reading Room inside Melville Library was recently renovated and is now open, offering multiple Zones for students to use depending on their purpose. This includes the new group study rooms. The Central Reading Room, also located in Melville Library is being renovated and will reopen in Fall 2016. The Central Reading Room will also include a number of group study rooms.
Getting answers to your questions, finding help with research and studying
- Ask A Librarian: how to chat with us online, email with questions, or inquire in person at a reference desk
- List of librarian experts (or liaisons, as we call them) organized by subject matter
- Research and study guides: lists of resources and materials to enhance your research, organized by topic/subject matter or by course number
- Course reserves: search by course ID for materials put on reserve in the library by faculty
- Locating materials
- My Library Account: log in to renew borrowed books, pay fines, etc.
- Free workshops for students focusing on research and study skills
- Center for Scholarly Communication
- Open Access at SBU
- Quick Reference Shelf
Databases available online for research