What is Digital Humanities?
Digital humanities (DH) research, practice and teaching inhabit the points of contact between digital technologies and humanities disciplines. University College London Centre for Digital Humanities describes DH practice as an intention “. . . to produce applications and models that make possible new kinds of research, both in the humanities disciplines and in computer science and its allied technologies. [DH] also studies the impact of these techniques on cultural heritage, memory institutions, libraries, archives, and digital culture.”
For more information, see the MLA Guidelines for Evaluating Work in the Digital Humanities and Digital Media.
The Center for Digital Humanities
The Stony Brook University Libraries Center for Digital Humanities is a space for research, teaching, and learning in all disciplines related to the practice of the digital humanities. The Center is an intellectual meeting place for researchers applying digital practices to humanistic inquiry and for those using a humanistic lens to examine questions related to technology, in all fields.
The Stony Brook University Libraries Center for Digital Humanities is open by appointment. If you would like to make an appointment, please Contact Us.
- Consultations for research and pedagogy
- Research sprints
- Metadata consultations
- Scholarly communication and professionalization
- To collaborate, consult, and partner with scholars in the digital humanities
- To provide tools and resources for projects in the digital humanities
- To provide a nexus for intellectual exchange among scholars in diverse disciplines working in the digital humanities
- To foster explorations of the implications of digital humanities praxis for humanistic inquiry, research, teaching, and learning
- To expand the possibilities for inquiry in the digital humanities, with an emphasis on interdisciplinarity
The establishment of the Stony Brook University Libraries Center for Digital Humanities was funded in part by a gift from the Gladys Brooks Foundation.
- Center for Digital Humanities Opens at SBU Libraries
- “The Great Lolcat Massacre,” by Dr. Elyse Graham
- Humanities and the Digital: A Workshop
- Dr. Scott Zukowski Presents on Digitized Periodicals
- SBU Librarians Present at 23rd Annual Archives Month Conference