Stony Brook University Libraries has compiled a list of Open Access resources to supplement its database collection. These options offer ways to access openly available materials.
- ArXiv is an open access archive that is maintained and operated by Cornell University. It provides access to scholarly articles in the following disciplines: physics, mathematics, computer science, quantitative biology, quantitative finance, statistics, electrical engineering and systems science, and economics.
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals) is a directory that provides access to openly available peer-reviewed articles. It covers a wide range of disciplines.
- Google Scholar is a search engine that provides access to full text journal articles, preprints, e-books, and technical reports among other materials. It covers a wide range of disciplines.
- Open Access Button (OA plug-in and service) offers access to many aggregated repositories, open access journals, among other freely accessible legal sources.
- OSF Preprints (searches multiple preprint services) provides preprints in an open source environment. It covers a wide range of disciplines.
- Pubmed Central is a U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) free digital archive of biomedical and life science journal literature.
- Unpaywall (OA plug-in and service) offers access to over 25,000,000 scholarly articles from OA journals and repositories.