What is Open Access?
Open access is free, unrestricted online access to scholarly articles. What it means to academia and research is that cost and access restrictions are removed from the equation, allowing free access to peer-reviewed, scholarly works, books, and just about any other electronic print material with the designation.
Open Access @ SBU
On February 6, 2017, University Senate adopted an Open Access Policy. The OA Policy was renewed by University Senate on February 6, 2020. Visit Open Access @ SBU to see the SBU Open Access Policy, deposit your work, request a waiver and more!
Open Access works fall under two main publishing categories:
Green Open Access
Free online access to peer-reviewed materials provided by the author (self archived, or published in an institutional repository).
Gold Open Access
Free online access provided by the journal itself, whether the journal is subscription-based, APC (article processing charge)-based, or subsidized. Open access journals can be searchable within a digital publisher’s collection. For example, EBSCO allows the user to limit searching to open access journals.
Open Access at Stony Brook University
- Open Access @ SBU See the SBU Open Access Policy, deposit your work, request a waiver and more!
- Discover SBU Open Access Many Stony Brook University researchers are publishing in quality, high-impact, peer-reviewed open access journals. Click to see research databases and OA collections, and discover open access research by Stony Brook University authors.
- Open Access Policy FAQ Understand what an open access policy is, and what it does to protect authors’ rights and permit the dissemination of scholarship and research.
- Research Funder Public Access Requirements Learn the Public Access policies and requirements of US Government and other funding agencies.
- NIH Public Access Policy for SBU Researchers A guide to the NIH Public Access Policy by Biomedical and Translational Medicine Librarian Jennifer Lyon.
- Open Access Databases & Journals A selection of excellent Open Access research databases and eJournals.
- Open SUNY Textbooks The SUNY-wide Open Textbook initiative.
- Your Copyright: Increase the Impact of Your Research An author’s copyright is valuable; understand the advantages of retaining your copyright and increasing the impact of your research with Open Access publishing.
- 2015 Open Access Symposium & 9th Antonija Prelec Memorial Lecture