The Music Library’s circulation policies are fairly consistent with those of the Melville Library’s Main Circulation Services Department. However, several collections, including music reference, reserve, collected editions, periodicals, audiovisual and CD-ROMs are categorized as “non-circulating” and may be used only in the Music Library.
The Music Library’s Loan Policies for Sound Recordings, Video Recordings, And Reserve Materials
- Sound recordings and video recordings may be charged (with ID) and used in the Music Library for up to 3 hours
- Sound recordings, video recordings and all other materials on reserve for a class may be charged (with ID) and used in the Music Library for up to 4 hours
- Music professors and TAs preparing for a class may charge sound recordings and/or video recordings (with ID) for up to 3 days. 3 day-loans of these items are due at 5 pm on the 3rd day.
- TAs from departments other than Music must provide
a letter from the department secretary or the professor they are assisting which verifies their status.
- All other patrons may NOT leave the Music Library with sound recordings, video recordings or reserve materials
OVERDUE FINES are $.02 per minute for all patrons!
Several collections in the Music Library are non-circulating and may only be used in the Music Library. A government-issued photo ID is necessary for borrowing.
• Sound and video recordings may be used in the Music Library for 3 hours.
• Material on reserve may be used in the Music Library for 2 hours.
• Faculty and teaching assistants may borrow sound or video recordings for 3 days. Material is due by 5pm on the 3rd day.
Videos and DVDs in the Main Circulation collection are checked out to patrons with valid Stony Brook University ID.
Loan period: 7 days
Maximum number of items out: 3
Number of renewals: 3
A valid University ID (or courtesy card) is required for borrowing media. Reserve videos may not leave Main Stacks except with the requesting faculty member. There are no recalls on AV material. Holds may be placed by faculty if needed for classroom use or reserve.
The viewing room is located on the 3rd floor (Main Stacks). DVD and VHS players are available in the viewing room. Headphones are available for 4-hour loan at the Circulation Desk. Stony Brook University Libraries is not responsible for damage to personal videos or DVDs.