Time period: June 2021 – August 2021
120 hours (8 weeks, 15 hrs/week)
This is an unpaid, remote position.
Stony Brook University Libraries is looking for a library school intern to work with the DSpace repository project working group. This is a joint-supervised position with the Digital Projects Librarian and Knowledge Management & Digital Assets Librarian involving metadata remediation of legacy ContentDM platform metadata that has been migrated to DSpace. This is a great opportunity to learn about non-MARC cataloging from both digital projects and metadata services perspectives.
- The candidate will be currently enrolled in a Masters of Information and Library Science degree or equivalent and must have taken at least one course in cataloging and metadata.
- Working knowledge of Google Docs and Sheets
- (preferred) Familiarity with the Dublin Core metadata schema
- Gain familiarity and competency in copy cataloging and metadata remediation with non-MARC metadata schemas
- Learn to work within a DSpace repository using the Dublin Core schema through hands-on tutorials and importing batch metadata
- General understanding of a tenure-track academic librarian position
- Create, remediate, and enhance metadata in Stony Brook University Libraries’ DSpace repository platform
- Upload new metadata into DSpace
- Provide clean-up, enrichment, and transformation of legacy Dublin Core records migrated from our legacy ContentDM platform
- Participate and contribute in staff meetings relating to the DSpace repository project
- Other projects as needed
Please submit a resume and a brief one page cover letter detailing your interest, your current MLIS program, and cataloging/metadata knowledge to Victoria Pilato, Digital Projects Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Place the job title, Metadata Remediation Intern, in the subject line.