evidenced by an attached resume):
Bachelor’s degree (foreign equivalent or higher). In lieu of a Bachelor’s degree (foreign equivalent or higher), a combination of directly related experience (hospitality, education support) and/or education totaling four years may be considered. Supervisory experience. Strong computer skills including proficiency with Google Applications, Microsoft Office Products and the Internet.
Two (2) years of full-time customer service experience in a related field (hospitality, education support) or library experience. Experience with integrated library systems or library service platforms (like Sierra or Alma).
Description of Duties:
The Instructional Support Associate will maintain the stacks to allow patrons and librarians to easily find what they are searching for, provide service desk coverage and delivery of library material. They will supervise and train student staff.
- Participate in and facilitate stack maintenance and delivery operations for Access & User Services. Under the direction of the Head of Access Services, coordinate and participate in the daily operations in support of stack maintenance and delivery functions. Assigns and monitors the daily work of shelving and delivery. Establish procedures and train employees and student employees. Possess knowledge of stacks maintenance best practices and vision of delivery of services in Access & User Services. Maintain appropriate statistics regularly and meet benchmarks for areas.
- Coverage of the Library Services Desk including circulation of library materials, answering library user questions in person and by phone while referring more complex reference questions to Reference staff. Assist with all aspects of Circulation Services. Assist patrons at the public computers. Knowledge of Access Services policies. Maintain appropriate statistics using the library services platform (LSP) program.
- Assist with processing of resource sharing requests, including assigning requests to appropriate queues and responding to questions about request status. Requires knowledge of resource sharing policies and ability to use specialized software such as Alma, ILLiad and Tipassa.
- Respond to queries about Access Services policies. Full working knowledge of the library services platform, including all functions in regards to patron files, processing of holds and receipt of library fine or fee payments. Facilitate the response to library maintenance issues and referral to proper personnel.
- Assist in the retrieval and scanning of material for interlibrary loan, document delivery and reserves. Develop expertise with integrated library system (ILS), interlibrary loan delivery system (ILLiad) and course management system (Blackboard) as well as scanning tools.
- Maintain technical competency and skills through professional development opportunities. Participate in department and University-wide committees, events and professional organizations.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
This is a full-time appointment. FLSA Non-Exempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such may be required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the university Office of Equity and Access (OEA) at (631) 632-6280 or visit OEA.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Official Job Title: Instructional Support Associate
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: University Libraries-Stony Brook University
Shift: Day Shift Shift Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Posting Start Date: Aug 19, 2021
Posting End Date: Sep 18, 2021, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Salary Grade: SL2
Appointment Type: Term