Evening/Weekend Supervisor (2304260)
| APPLY HERE
Evening/Weekend Supervisor # 234260 (Part-time)
Required Qualifications: (as evidenced by an attached resume)
Bachelor’s degree (foreign equivalent or higher). In lieu of a Bachelor’s degree, four years of directly related full-time experience, or a combination of higher education course work and work experience totaling four full-time years may be considered. Strong customer service experience in a related customer-focused field (hospitality, education support). Must have strong computer skills, including proficiency with Google apps, Microsoft Office products and the Internet.
Three (3) years of prior work experience. Experience supervising staff and/or student employees. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Demonstrated facility with library technology, including library integrated management systems and discovery platforms, statistics and scheduling software tools, and office productivity software.
Brief Description of Duties:
This position is part of a team of employees who, under the direction of the Head of Operations, provide oversight of library locations during evening and weekend operations. They may be responsible for opening and/or closing library locations. The Evening/Weekend Supervisor provides service at assigned library locations, checks in/out library material, and responds to inquiries in person, over the phone, and online. The Evening/Weekend Supervisor also assists with retrieval and shelving of library materials and stacks maintenance. This position assists with supervising student employees and acts as a liaison between the evening/weekend staff and the daytime staff as well as with facilities and UPD to ensure clean, safe spaces for patrons.
* Assist in overseeing operations in assigned areas, including service desk coverage, student supervision and responding to patron inquiries evening and weekend operations. Coverage of the Library Services Desk including circulation of library materials, processing of resource sharing and reserve requests, and answering library user questions in person and by phone while referring more complex reference questions to Reference staff. Assist with all aspects of Circulation Services. Assist patrons at the public computers. Knowledge of Access Services policies. Maintain appropriate statistics using library services platform (LSP), gate counts, and other methods. May supervise a library aide.
* Assist with the supervision of student employees, including training, scheduling, assigning and reviewing tasks, coordinating with other staff on performance assessment and monitoring work-study balance.
* Assist with processing of resource sharing requests, including assigning requests to appropriate queues and responding to questions about request status. Retrieving, scanning, and preparing material for delivery. Requires knowledge of resource sharing policies and ability to use specialized software such as Alma, ILLiad, course management system, and scanning software and tools.
* Respond to queries about library services and provide basic reference support at service desk, on phone, and online. Full working knowledge of the library services platform, including all functions in regards to patron files, processing of holds and receipt of library fine or fee payments, and knowledge of library resources. . Facilitate the response to library maintenance issues and referral to proper personnel.
* Participates in and facilitates stacks maintenance and delivery operations for Access User Services. Under the direction of the Head of Access Services, coordinates and participates in the daily operations in support of stack maintenance and delivery functions. Assigns and monitors the daily work of shelving and delivery. Establish procedures and train employees and student employees. Possess knowledge of stacks maintenance best practices and vision of delivery of services in Access & User Services. Maintain appropriate statistics regularly and meet benchmarks for areas.
* Maintains technical competency and skills through professional development opportunities. Participate in department and University-wide committees, events and professional organizations
* Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
This is a part-time appointment. FLSA Non Exempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
For this position, we are unable to sponsor candidates for work visas.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such may be required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are canceled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Evening and weekend work will be required at times.
Resume/CV and cover letter should be included with the online application.
Stony Brook University is committed to excellence in diversity and the creation of an inclusive learning, and working environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status and all other protected classes under federal or state laws.
If you need a disability-related accommodation, please call the university Office of Equity and Access (OEA) at (631) 632-6280 or visit OEA.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act a copy of our crime statistics can be viewed here.
Visit our WHY WORK HERE page to learn about the total rewards we offer.
Job Number: 2304260
Official Job Title: Instructional Support Associate
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Library
Shift :Evening Shift Shift Hours: Friday – 4:15 p.m. – 8:00 p.m., Saturday – 12:00 p.m.-8:00 pm, Sunday – 4:00 pm – 12 a.m. During intersessions, winter and summer sessions, hours may change, depending on library operations.
Posting Start Date: Dec 14, 2023
Posting End Date: Jan 13, 2024, 11:59:00 PM
Appointment Type: Temporary
SBU Area:Stony Brook University