Reserve Information for Students
Welcome to Stony Brook University Libraries Reserves webpage. Upon request and in accordance with applicable copyright restrictions, the Libraries provide both print and electronic access to certain course materials.
Teaching assistants and faculty may place materials for supplemental readings on Course Reserves. Material will be housed at the appropriate library, at the request of the course instructor, and will be available at the respective service desks. This material is usually on loan for a short duration due to its high demand, and may not leave the circulation area if the item is a 2 or 4 hour loan. Fines for late return of reserve items are higher than regular loans.
How to Find Course Reserve Material in STARS
- Go to STARS, the West Campus Libraries Catalog.
- Click on Course Reserves tab on top.
- From the drop-down menu, choose a selection criterion for your search: Course, Instructor, or Department. For example, if searching by Course, type three letters and the course number: HIS100. Click Go.
- From the Browse List, click on your selected entry. Click on the Number of the entry to retrieve the full record.
Borrowing / Returning Course Reserves Material
To borrow items on Course Reserves, students must show their current SBU ID card at the circulation desk in the library where the material is housed. Procedures for borrowing may vary with each library. You may borrow up to 4 items. Due to the high demand for Reserve items, you can not request a hold or recall. Reserve loans are on a first come - first serve basis. Reserve material must be returned to the circulation desk where the material was borrowed. Main Circulation Course Reserves material must be returned to the Circulation/Reserve Desk.
Electronic Course Reserves (E-Reserves)
Teaching assistants and faculty may place materials on Reserve through Blackboard course web pages or the Library's Electronic Course Reserves (E-Reserves) system via Blackboard. Electronic Reserves may be accessed from on campus and remotely through Blackboard 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
How to Find E-Reserves Material
- Go to Blackboard and login.
- Select the appropriate Course under My Courses.
- Select Course Documents or External Links.