Executive Assistant to the Dean, Library Administration Office – 1701499
Required Qualifications: (As Evidenced by an Attached Resume)
Bachelor’s Degree. Three (3) years of directly related, progressively responsible, full time executive administrative experience, preferably in a Higher Education/Academic environment. Experience as an assistant to an Executive within a public sector, corporate, non-profit or higher education setting to include experience managing an Executive’s calendar. Experience communicating with senior level administrators. Highly proficient, professional experience in word processing, spreadsheet management, electronic messaging and internet applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Apps, etc…).
Master’s Degree. Additional years of progressively responsible full-time administrative experience, preferably in an academic setting. Experience working with campus computer systems. Experience working in a management level position. Supervisory experience. Event planning experience. Experience booking domestic and international travel arrangements.
Brief Description of Duties:
This position will assist the Dean of Libraries in the administration of the Library Administration Office.
- Act as the first line of contact for the Library Administration Office with persons within the University and visitors from various external groups and businesses, and the general public.
- Handles all administrative matters for the Dean and provide principal administrative support for the Dean’s Office, following all confidentiality policies and procedures.
- Assists the Dean in numerous aspects of their duties including the organizing, scheduling, and preparation for meetings and conferences.
- Manages the Dean’s schedule and serve as the primary liaison between faculty, administrators and students within the University as well as outside of the University. Determine the Dean’s priorities as it relates to calendar management, scheduling of meetings and conferences as well as other special events.
- Arrange conference calls, manage email distribution lists, electronic telephone directories of companies, businesses, SUNY offices.
- Make necessary domestic and international travel and accommodation arrangements for Dean, visiting international partner universities, sites, etc. and prepare travel reimbursement vouchers.
- Plan, coordinate, attend meetings, for high-ranking personnel from industry, members of the University community, business groups, and elected officials.
- Consult with the Dean to determine and develop appropriate agendas. Incumbent will research, gather and organize materials for meetings. As required, the incumbent will investigate issues raised at meetings and follow-up as appropriate.
- Maintain and manage Dean’s SBF Amex account.
- Monitor and track allocations to ensure proper and accurate administration of accounts.
- Work independently to resolve account discrepancies.
- Work with various campus offices to resolve discrepancies such as Procurement, SBF Accounting and Accounts Payable, Campus Catering, vendors, etc.
- Under the direction of the Dean, plan and project SBF budget needs. Prepare account summaries, using appropriate spreadsheet software.
- Provides information to both University Offices and outside donors as required.
- Reviews SBF monthly reports for accuracy.
- Support operational needs of Library Dean’s Office with regarding to ordering of and oversight of supplies and equipment.
- Administer paperwork for library interns, volunteers and faculty adjuncts.
- Maintain various data bases for the Library Administration Office which include industrial contacts, local and state officials.
- Research, gather and disseminate information on behalf of the Dean.
- Research required information, develop databases using appropriate software, prepare spreadsheets, manage data, extract data as required and prepare related reports on a regular and ad hoc basis.
- Communicate this information to the Dean.
- Assist the Dean with faculty re-appointments, tenure and promotion files.
- Responsible for hiring, training and supervising student staff at the Library Administration Office front desk and will serve as back up for other administrative support staff in suite.
- On behalf of the Dean, draft and prepare all correspondence, presentations and other types of communication for various Library activities.
- Attend and take minutes of confidential meetings as needed or requested by the Dean.
- Prepare follow-up letters/correspondence.
- Assist the Dean, or his/her designee, in producing the annual report and strategic plan.
- Required to prepare paperwork which is sensitive and confidential in nature.
- Coordinate various activities, including on-site and offsite conferences.
- Plan, coordinate, and attend meetings and/or events for constituencies within and outside the University.
- Consult with the Dean to determine and develop appropriate agendas.
- Research, gather and organize materials for meetings.
- As required, investigate issues raised at meetings/events and follow-up as appropriate.
- Assists Dean in numerous aspects of their duties including the organizing, scheduling, and preparing for meetings and conferences.
- Interface with high level officials and be prepared to attend meetings at the request of the Dean.
- COEUS routing system.
- Review grant proposals to make certain required documentation is included before routing goes to the Dean’s level. If matching funds or cost-sharing are required, then prepare the appropriate paperwork for the project director.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and department mission.
FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Minimum salary threshold must be met to maintain the FLSA exemption.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Stony Brook University will be 100% tobacco-free starting January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
About Stony Brook:
Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island’s scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollack House in East Hampton, New York, the Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632- 6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632- 6350. It can also be viewed on line at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Official Job Title: Senior Staff Assistant
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Library-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 8:30 – 5:00 Pass Days: Sat, Sun
Posting Start Date: May 22, 2017
Posting End Date: Jun 5, 2017, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: $55,000-$70,000/Annual@1.0FTE CWE
Salary Grade: SL3